01 January 2024

Binary Blankie, colours and pattern

Happy New Year 🎆🎇

Colours.
I wrote about finger swatches the other day. Another thing I do is have a wee container of 12dc squares to play with. I've picked 8 colours out to do this blanky.
Warm: Tomato, Mustard, Fuchsia Purple, Boysenberry
Cool: Petrol, Bottle, Royal, Proper Purple
and I have chosen tomato and petrol for the first one.

Pattern.
I've been trying to decide what to do the squares as. I'm so over grannies now. 🥴
Choices... plain dc, work between dc's, a pretty square like something from Lucy's collection...

I think it needs to have even sized rows for the colour to work. I'm still going with the illusion of someone reading the binary so I'd like it to be clear.

I did a whole big blanket in the work between stitch and really liked it. It has quite a thick feel to the fabric and has a sort of waffle texture.
The other time I used this stitch was on Doris Chan's All Shawl, being triples it came out nice and lacy. I think I used it on a Lion Brand bag pattern too, now I think about it.

The pattern is here, for the big blanket I made.  
(Kaz works with Lucy to re-imagine her designs with each new colour pack. Check out all the pretty Harmony blankets!)
Here is the one I made.

I've done a chart for the squares - up to row 8 as that's what we need for this project.

In between stitch square pattern.
Row 1. Ch3, join with a slip stitch (JSS) to form a ring. Ch3, 2dc, (ch1, 3dc)x3, ch1. JSS. Turn. =12dc + 4ch
Row 2. Ch3, 1 dc in same space, *1dc in between the next st to the corner ch, 2dc, ch1, 2dc in the corner ch * Rep ** 4 times, omitting the last 2dc of corner at the end. JSS. Turn. = 24dc + 4 ch
Row 3. Ch3, 1 dc in same space, *1dc in between the next st to the corner ch, 2dc, ch1, 2dc in the corner ch * Rep ** 4 times, omitting the last 2dc of corner at the end. JSS. Turn. = 36dc + 4ch.
Carry on like that for 8 rows total (for this project) in the colours as per the binary code.

I used a 5mm hook with Stylecraft special DK.

No comments:

Post a Comment